This aromatic and delicious HAZELNUT CAKE will delight you when you try it …
I surprised myself with the result, being so juicy and tasty. Simple sponge cakes have always been my preference, with basic ingredients, only making use of some flour, eggs, sugar and not much more. I had never been inclined to add a filling… toppings… or nuts … specially when the kids were still young, because they didn´t like it… but now, I am slowly becoming a fan of these kind of cakes!… It might just be me getting older,hehe!
I prepare this cake at home last Sunday. We enjoyed it at tea time whilst we decorated the Christmas tree, we all love it … AND IT´S JUST SO DELICIOUS … the mixture of nuts and spices I love. And the icing it wears on top provides just the right sweetness to the rest of the cake.
The ideal cake for these gentle evenings in winter … for a festive and sweet moment.
Raciones makes 14 servings
- 125 gr hazelnuts, toasted and with skins rubbed off.
- 300 gr ground hazelnuts
- 200 gr flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 200 gr soft butter
- 225 gr caster sugar
- 100 ml milk at room temperature
- ICING GLACE
- 250 gr icing sugar
- 4-5 tbsp rum ( you can replace the rum with strained orange juice, or use both of them)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF ( 180ºC) and line a 10-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Toast and skin hazelnuts: spread the shelled nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 10 minutes. Wrap the hot nuts in a clean kitchen towel and let stand 1 minute. Roll the nuts back and forth in the towel to loosen and rub off the skin. Not all the skin will come off, which is fine. Let cool before processing.
- Chop the hazelnuts in a food processor to small pieces.
- Mix the flour,baking powder, cinnamon,chopped hazelnuts and ground hazelnuts in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites and a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form
- In the mixer, cream the butter vanilla and sugar together until light, smooth and fluffy, scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Gradually beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- On slow peed, incorporate the flour-hazelnuts mixture in several additions, alternating with milk.Scoop about 1/3 of the egg whites into the bowl and begin stirring and folding it with the spatula.This will help to loosen the batter a bit. Add half of the remaining egg whites, folding rather than stirring them into the batter to prevent them from deflating too much. Finally, add the last of the whites and continue folding until they are incorporated into the batter. Scrape it into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake the cake for 40-50 minutes, until browned on top and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, remove of the springform, and let the cake cool completely before icing.
- ICING GLACE
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir in enough liquid( rum or juice) until the mixture is the consistency of thick cream.Beat until smooth and use inmmediately.