Delicious ORANGE CAKE perfect for satisfying the evening sweet tooth. My mother particularly loved this recipe and I admite I also love it. The textura of this Orange Almond cake is so soft and fluffy
A simple traditional cake that everyone always loves. This cake has a soft, moist crumb and is lightly sweet with a delicate flavor of Orange and vanilla.
ORANGE ALMOND CAKE , A PERFECT TEA TIME TREAT !
If you prefer, instead of baking the cake in an Angel Food pan, you can use a 23 cm round pan . But remember that baking times may differ slightly depending on the pan you are using.
Walking around the country side, I have been lucky to find these pretty little almond blossoms. Together with some flaked almonds , they will be perfect to decorate our Sunday Cake and delight at tea time.
- 150 g plain flour
- 16 g baking powder
- 125 g ground almonds
- 4 Large eggs (room temperature)
- 150 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- Freshly squeezed juice of 2 oranges (140-150 ml)
- Orange zest ( from 1-2 oranges)
- Preheat oven to 180º C and grease and flour an Angel Food pan.
- In a small bowl mix together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, on médium-high speed, whisk together egg yolks , half of the sugar vanilla and Orange zest until pale and fluffy.
- On low speed and with the mixer running, add oil slowly until combined.
- On low speed, add flour mixture in two or three times alternainting with orange juice. Don’t over mix.
- Using a spatula, fold in ground almonds until combined.
- In a second large mixing bowl, whisk egg whites on high speed until foamy . Reduce speed to medium and, while mixer is running, add remaining sugar , one tablespoon at a time. Then increase speed to high and continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg whites (1 heaping spoonfull at a time) into the batter, folding with each addition just until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for aprox. 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake sit for 20 -25 minutes on a wire rack, then remove from the pan and allow cake to cool completely.