We are already entering the Christmas period, and me … stressed as always … although this year I want to take Christmas as it goes, calmly!
Christmas is the time to reunite with family members and enjoy the happiness of all being together. It is also fact that this time of the year allows plentiful meals, and although we might eat way too much, a sweet element has always got to be at the table, and if it´s home made even better.
That´s why I´d like to share with you this delicious cake. It´s the classic marble cake with vanilla and cocoa, but to give it a rather more Christmas touch we will add some marzipan and we will cover it with some chocolate ganache.
I have got to tell you that I personally don´t like marzipan in general, but in this cake … I just love it! This will be the second Christmas now that we bake it at home, as it only received good criticism the first time. And the great thing is that it is loved by adults as well as children.
Well, even though the pictures aren´t great, and I put way to much cocoa powder on top, haha!. What matters is that I could give you this recipe, in case you needed easy and simple baking ideas for these festive days.
Because it´s DELICIOUS !
Give it a try and enjoy the festive season!…HAPPY CHRISTMAS!
- 250 gr butter softened
- 250 gr caster sugar
- 5 eggs (M)
- 100 gr sour cream
- 350 gr plain flour
- 16 gr baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 100 gr marzipan
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF)
- Grease and flour a loaf tin
- Sift the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
- Using a stand mixer or electric beaters,cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is pale and fluffy. This should take about 3-5 minutes, on medium-high speed.
- On low-medium speed,add the eggs one at a time stopping to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a spatula after each addition.
- Add the sour cream.
- Add the sifted flour mixture in two additions and beat lightly until incorporated.
- Divide the batter in three parts.Mix one part with the sifted cocoa and the milk, another part with the vanilla, and the last part with the marzipan(cut into small pieces).
- Drop dollops of the different batters into the prepared pan, layering them until all the batter has been added.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- MAKE THE GANACHE:
- Chop the chocolate and add it to a large bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to the boil and pour over the chocolate, whisk until smooth.
- Allow the ganache to cool before decorating the cake.