Hope you all have recovered from all the excess meals that the christimas time has provided us with…..Im trying to accomplish one of my new years resolution, which is to try stay on track of a healthier diet. Although…. after these two weeks of rest I had, I’m back and can’t wait to bake something sweet. So as the weekend is approaching, I think I may treat myself to something I love.
How about a Spanish Almond cake, I will use the traditional method used in my area, Valencia. We use the oranges we grow here to aromatize, and a pinch of ground cloves. It can be also aromatized with lemon zest and a little cinnamon and if we prepare it for special occasions we tend to decorate it covering it with meringue on top.
It is very simple, it is basically made with some eggs, sugar and ground almonds. No flour is addded, even though you may find some recipes which include adding a little flour, I prefer not to. We will not use any baking powder either for the cake to rise. That’s why it is essential to whisk the egg whites as much until the foam forms stiff peaks. So keep strong and keep whisking.
Its winter, it’s not really inconvenient to turn the oven on, Is it?…. specially on a cold day, where it is so enjoyable staying at home, having a nice hot drink and a delicious cake, and most importantly a cake that we will have made our selves.
How about having this cake for your tea time?
I encourage you to enjoy these little sweet moments!
30 minTiempo de preparación
35 minTiempo de cocinado
1 hr, 5 Tiempo total
- 6 eggs (M) separated.
- A pinch of salt
- 200 gr caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange + 3-4 tbsp orange juice
- 200 gr ground almonds
- A pinch of ground cloves
- TO DECORATE
- icing sugar and 3 tbsp flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line a 26cm springform with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer.Gradually add half the caster sugar and beat until they form stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, orange zest, orange juice,vanilla, and remaining sugar(100gr) , until pale and quite thick.
- Fold in the ground almonds and a pinch of ground cloves.
- Carefully, fold in the egg whites, a little at a time.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes.
- Leave the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out and cool on a wire rack.
- Peel away the lining paper and decorate with icing sugar and flaked almonds