Today I have for you what we would call COCA DE LLANDA AMB CARABASSA, a delicious pumpkin sponge cake to really boost up your mood and to gently glide into the new year ,,, because I have a feeling that it’s going to be a good one!
La COCA DE LLANDA, is a traditional spanish sponge cake from the VALENCIA region. It tends to be baked in a fairly big aluminium container. It is made at home when there is plenty of visitors or when there is a family reunion taking place.
I was lucky enough to have my friend provide me with some gorgeous pumpkins from his orchard and some happy chicken eggs and felt the need to bake one for tea time with my friends. The first thing is to roast the pumpkin in the oven. It is much faster to cook the pumpkin in the microwave but using the oven will definitely make a significant difference in my opinion, taste-wise.
I’m rather careful with how much sugar i use, as before i stick it in the oven, i like to sprinkle over a sugar and cinnamon mix. As a result the cake will have a nice light crust on-top.
You don’t even know how good it smells……I love this cake!………always so gentle and spongy.
Well well ….. anybody feel like making a hot chocolate!!!!
- 500 gr. Roasted pumpkin puree.
- 5 eggs.
- 250 gr. sugar.
- 180 gr. soft olive oil (or another vegetable oil)
- 500 gr. plain flour.
- 16 gr. baking powder (4 tsp)
- 3-4 Tbsp. sugar mix with 3-4 tsp cinnamon.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF), and line a 25 cm x 38 cm x 4 cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until thick and fluffy.
- At low speed, add the oil slowly.
- Add the pumpkin puree and continue beating.
- In a separate bowl sift flour and baking powder. Add to the batter in 2-3 times, mixing until just incorporated, dont overmix.
- Pour the batter into the tin and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top, so that when baked it will form a crust.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.