Today I have for you this cheesecake which is very popular in Germany.” The Russischer Zupfkuchen” Yes, not exactly easy to pronounce. I probably took less time to learn how to bake the cake than to pronounce the name of it. At my house, friends call it the Russian… to abbreviate in some way…hehehe!
Besides the name, this cake is not from a Russian recipe. It´s a classic from traditional german bakery, which includes an extended variety of Cheesecakes types. Many german families like to bake cakes on sunday and to enjoy it around friends and family. That is how I came across this wonderful cake, on my holidays to this country.
This cake has officially made it to be one of the favorites in my house. In general I really enjoy cheesecakes… This one in particular, made with “quark”,( a creamy cheese) and chocolate batter, which is used in the base of the cake and also placed, taking small pinches of dough, on top of the filling. The combination of flavors, cheese cream, vanilla and chocolate is simply delicious and may please almost everyone´s sweet-spot.
Try it, honestly…defiantly could become your favorite !!!
35 minTiempo de preparación
1 hrTiempo de cocinado
1 hr, 35 Tiempo total
- FOR THE DOUGH:
- 200 gr sugar
- 200 gr butter (room temperature)
- 2 eggs
- 40 gr cocoa powder
- 350 flour
- 16 gr baking powder
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 500 gr quark cheese (curd cheese)
- 100 gr butter, room temperature
- 150 gr sugar
- 3 eggs (We separate the whites from the yolks)
- 25 gr cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 gr cream
- Preheat the oven to 175º C and grease a 26 cm springform tin and dust lightly with flour.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE DOUGH:
- In a large bowl beat the butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add cocoa, flour and baking powder and mix on low speed first and then on high speed to get a smooth dough. Wrap with plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile we prepare the CHEESE FILLING:
- Mix the cheese, butter,sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, egg yolks and cream, until homogenous and smooth.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, and add carefully to the cheese mixture.
- Spread 2/3 of the dough in the springform to cover the base and 3- 4 cm of the sides. The rest of the dough would be for the top.
- Pour the filling into the base.
- Pinch little pieces from the rest of the chocolate dough, placing evenly over the top of the filling.
- Bake the cake for about 60 minutes.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack, and refrigerate for several hours.